Not long ago Kingdom Hearts 3 Director Tetsuya Nomura revealed in an interview that the development team was having a hard time figuring out new worlds to include into the game. While I’ll be the first to admit that there are lots of Disney movies in the past that wouldn’t work out as part of the Kingdom Hearts franchise, or have been in previous installments, there are still movies out there. This inspired me to write my suggestions on movies that could be improvised into worlds. Keep in mind that I have not played all the games in the series. The only ones I’ve played/own are Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, as well as Chains of Memories.
- Great Mouse Detective- I had heard a rumor a very long time ago that the idea of having a world based of the Great Mouse Detective was thrown around during development on Kingdom Hearts 1, but have never heard anything that confirmed it. Although I could see it as a possibility. The idea could work out considering the possibility of boss battles with Fidget, Felicia, and Ratigan.
- Jungle Book- This was originally planned in Birth By Sleep, but was scrapped for unknown reasons. The idea for this would probably be similar to the Deep Jungle scenario, but since they can’t work out an agreement to get the rights to use Tarzan again, this would still make a good alternative.
- Pinocchio- Technically, this has already been included with Monstro being a world in Kingdom Hearts, but most people didn’t forget that there actually is a world that involves Pinocchio. Prankster’s Paradise was included in Dream Drop Distance, but there is way more that could be incorporated into it. Pinocchio technically has 4 enemies from the movie, Stromboli, Honest John, Gideon, and the Coachman. This makes for plenty of possibilities, especially since 3 out of the 4 can be utilized at the theme park itself.
- Snow White- I just want to include this because I want payback for all the nightmares that the evil queen gave me during and after the transformation scene. That seems justified enough.
- Treasure Planet- In what is considered a cult classic among Disney fans, this just screams requirement. Let’s think about this for a second. Kingdom Hearts is essentially a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy has always been famous for it’s flying ships that appear in every installment. Disney just happened to make a movie in 2002 that had flying ships, “solar surfing”, and treasure hunting. That along with a antagonist robot named B.E.N. just makes for an exciting world.
- Gargoyles- I realize this isn’t a Disney movie, but it was still made from scratch by Disney. This was a dark tone that could work in the Kingdom Hearts series. After all, we’ve had the clock tower from Peter Pan, The World that Never Was, and Hollow Bastion. Plus who wouldn’t like to see Sora turned into a keyblade swinging Gargoyle fighting Xanatos.
I realize that there are many other worlds that I could have included in this list, but these are just some of the ones that I would personally like to see, and what I feel like could possibly work. Now I realize that some people are saying that they should include Star Wars and Marvel characters, but I feel like none of them make good fits in this series. Once you think about all the movies that Disney has done since 1937 with Snow White, you really have lots of choices. The company have done both animated and live action movies. Even if you can’t think of them, think about all the cartoons they did for Disney Afternoon in the 90s.