According to Sega’s “Road to 2020″ business presentation, the company is planning on a “revival of major IPs.”
Sega outlines the following in the digital games and package games fields in the “Segment Goal / Business Strategies” section of the presentation.
Packaged Games Field (example titles: Total War: Warhammer, Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, Football Manager 2017, and Persona 5)
- Expand existing IPs and obtain new IPs for North American and European PC games
- Build revenue base by being entrusted with outsourced development
- Challenge for new IPs
- Revival of major IPs
- Effective utilization of development engines
Digital Games Field (example titles: Puyo Puyo!! Quest, Hortensia Saga, Chain Chronicle 3, and Phantasy Star Online 2)
- Create titles that will become global hits
- Establish digital marketing business
- Expand overseas publishing business
- Maintain profits through long-term operation of existing titles
- Develop next-generation titles
A “major issue” Sega says it will tackle is to “create titles that will become global hits.” Sega plans on utilizing existing IPs, exernal IPs, new IPs, and reviving past IPs while also maximizing the value of the IPs.