According to sources for GGRecon, there are internal discussions within Blizzard that would significantly change Overwatch Contenders.
One of the biggest discussions would be a monthly draft competition which would essentially abolishing teams and see captains drafting their teammates.
Each of the following are reportedly being taken into consideration:
- For Contenders tournaments, a draft system of players would be introduced
- Players would have to register on a tournament platform
- Teams would have neutral branding during the monthly tournaments
- Within these monthly tournaments, captains would be selected on the platform, in which they can draft pairings (Tank/DPS/Support duos) for their mixed team
- Drafted teams would have a set amount of time to prepare for the tournament
- Participants would still receive prize money
- During the downtime of these monthly tournaments, sanctioned third-party events would be hosted.
- Teams can participate in these third party tournaments as organisations
It’s said that teams across all regions strongly dislike the idea with many pointing to synergy problems between teammates and a significant drop in the level of play.